Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Sponsors > Vintage Certification

Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 AM

Default Re: GM Nationals @ Carlisle

Sam and others, I WAS at the CAMARO NATIONALS in Frederick,MD helping to judge the 2nd Gen LEGENDS(restored)Camaros. I also walked about as any enthusiast would. I enjoyed the overall experience and heard most everyone else doing likewise.
People are people. Those at Carlisle had their fun and we at
Frederick did so also. It's just a shame that WE all cant be together and experience EVERYTHING together.

My expectations were exceeded. I've heard the car count was 350+. There were alot of 5th Gen(new)Camaros that were driven in from many states far and wide. I believe this site (for the most part) stops thinking Camaro after the 1969 year.

As many of you at Carlisle were no doubt hearing negative comments about Frederick, we were hearing misc negative hearsay about Carlisle. He said, she said, yada, yada, yada ......
about who left, who was there, who had the bigger xxx, you know
the routine.

The new venue at the Frederick Fairgrounds was very acceptable with two good size bldgs being used for the LEGENDS and HEARTBEAT restored. As well Rick Settlemire from G.M. brought in a Reliable Truck load of Camaros that included the new ZL-1.
The venue also had a open show field (ala Carlisle) where the majority of the cars were lined up in a large variety of classes.

There were maybe six professional food vendors. These was a small variety of amatuer private party guys selling used and NOS Camaro parts. I actually saw more CAMARO parts at this show than I normally see at G.M. Carlisle (when you eliminate all the garbage, and other misc G.M.parts)

City of Frederick is moderately sized. There had a COSTCO, Super Walmart and any type of store or restaurant that you would want at a car show weekend anywhere. Freeway access off I-70 was a breeze.

The Host Hotel was a large Holiday Inn & Conference Center. Parking lot area was huge. We had a typical hot breakfast buffet each morning. We had a charity silent auction dinner on Friday night.

I observed people having fun talking with old friends and meeting new ones. I heard people expressing their pleasure in being there. The www.nastyZ28 web site had a BBQ lunch for its many members and guests that attended.

On Saturday at 4PM there was the typical award presentations.

As I've said before I will always miss Brian, Joe & Frank's display of superbly restored Camaros and Novas. I think this entire situation stinks. Business, money, power and control must prevail with Carlisle Productions. I was told that the Maryland Camaro Club operates the "CAMARO Nationals" as a non profit.

In all likelyhood this Pixxing contest will continue for years to come. I will continue to support the stand alone CAMARO NATIONALS and hlp it grow, gain parts vendors, prestiege and profitability.

I'll step off my soap box for now and let whomever fire away at my observations

respectfully submitted,

Chuck Sharin (my real name)
425-277-8833 (my real phone #)

70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Chuck, very good info and well put. I still wish that these 2 shows could all be together again. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 AM

I really have not followed this issue closely as hitting the Solid Lifter Showroom has always been a top priority for me. I think I might enjoy the Camaro Nationals as a stand alone event. I really enjoy the type of scene that Chuck described.

The only issue I have is if the Camaro Nationals continues to be held the same weekend as GM Carlisle- regardless of being non-profit seems rather spiteful and only alienates a fellow like myself who would be open to the event if it wasn't for the scheduling conflict. Seems like there certainly are ego problems on both sides and somewhere in between the two opinions is the real world. I think whichever side realizes that 1st will ultimately "win" the crowd on the merits of the show, rather than competing in the same North East Region, for the same crowd on the same weekend.

Good luck fellows!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 AM

Neat Story. Grandpa was the original owner and bought the car to drag race. After a broken axle the car got parked and life went on. After he passed father and son put the car back on the road and brought it to the show.

White Nose was due to the special paint color when it was ordered. Was an issue with painting the nose, so they offered the options of a chrome, black or white nose. Since the car had a white gut, he chose a white nose.

Lot of neat old stickers and equipment. They just took off the NMW tow tabs so the lower grille could be put back in place.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 AM

man that really is neat! Great story.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Paul, Do you know if this car is from the Selinsgrove, PA area which is 1 hr N of Harrisburg on RT 11-15?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Thats a great car and story but Im not buying the nose theory. I know of lots of special paint 69's and none of them had a differnt color nose. Id like to see the factory paperwork on that one. You could not get the chrome nose in 69 also.There is a burgundy ram iv with 5000 miles on it in selinsgrove..2 brothers own that car.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:51 AM

I taked to the owner at the York show on Sat., and here is a picture of him and the car in 1969 showing the white nose. He told me that the special order paint is a 1966 color and they would not guarantee it to stick to the nose so his dad opted for the white since it had parchment int. I did see the window sticker from H & H Pontiac in Harrisburg, PA where the owner and car resides.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69L78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I taked to the owner at the York show on Sat., and here is a picture of him and the car in 1969 showing the white nose. He told me that the special order paint is a 1966 color and they would not guarantee it to stick to the nose so his dad opted for the white since it had parchment int. I did see the window sticker from H &amp; H Pontiac in Harrisburg, PA where the owner and car resides. </div></div>
And you really believed him???? Do you really think that barrier blue would not stick to the bumper but every other color know to man would?? I would be willing to bet that the car was nosed a little in the front and they could not match the color so they painted it white at his request. It was not original paint on the nose.BTW All 69 ram air cars came from the factory with Blacked out grilles. This car had silver grilles.Another red flag.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 AM

That is a nice looking Goat! White walls and 5 spokes look good - who'd of thunk?