Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 03-05-2007, 02:49 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: GM crossram intake-valve cover interference

Eric you may want to buy a set of the later covers. As you see in the pic. you neet to cut past the notches that are in the covers. Mine is a real GM intake and I've al ready been through these problems years ago
The Following User Says Thank You to plumL78 For This Useful Post:
steel (09-07-2017)
Old 03-05-2007, 02:56 AM

Kerry;

I don't think another set of valve covers are an option as this is a customers engine, and I don't think they'll consider replacing them with a newer set. Just out of curiosity, is there a significant difference in the offending area between the original covers and the newer ones?

Thanks again.
Eric
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 PM

I just had a NOS pair of valve covers machined so I could get them off without removing the manifold, I did not want to machine my original non-dripper valve covers....I also had the NOS set refinished to give them that original look as opposed to the shiny polished look.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Eric I'm not sure about that but I'm guessing they are close. The question I have is to Darrenx33 how are you going to tilt the manifold to get the valve cover on. You will have to take the top of the manifold off to get to the bolts that are in the plemum and then loosen up all the bolts and break the intake gasket seal and take a chance of the intake leaking water or air. All that just to get the valve cover off. If you are using the factory steel shim head gaskets and its a new motor what are you going to do then about re torking the head bolts take the intake back off again? I can't believe that somone has a 69Z and isn't willing to buy a set of covers and send them to Jerry and let him reskin them so they look orig. At least they would have drippers on them . This setup done correctley is not a maintance nightmare. I bought my intake in 1971 and put it on my Z 7 years ago I've put over 16k and haven't turned a screw on it in over two years The only time the intake been back off is when the top of a valve got chipped from a bad rocker arm. Bottom line is you can't have the crossram WOW factor if you're not willing to give up something.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question I have is to Darrenx33 how are you going to tilt the manifold to get the valve cover on. You will have to take the top of the manifold off to get to the bolts that are in the plemum and then loosen up all the bolts and break the intake gasket seal and take a chance of the intake leaking water or air. All that just to get the valve cover off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see anywhere in my posts where I have disagreed with what your saying. I just stated that it can be done without cutting. And yes it is a pain to maintain if you don't. If you read again you will see.

Also based on your comment I quoted your adjusting valves with the car running. Not everyone does it that way..
Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 PM

Daren I agree that you can do it the way you say. I just don't know why anybody would want to do all that work when you don't need to. I just don't understand that. No I don't adjust the valves while the motor is running but I do adjust them hot. As for the orig problem that Eric asked about I guess he has to either cut some covers or take the intake back off and use a single carb or bolt it together like you do. I'm guessing that Eric's customer isn't a hands on guy so when the valves need adjusting or it needs valve cover gaskets or what ever he will have to go back to Eric and have it taken apart. I guess none of this matters because it more than likely wont get driven anyway
Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

The best and easiest way to do this is the way Kerry has told you. Machine the edge of the V/C. You will never see this. We have done several and this is by far the best way to access the valves to do adjustments. Having to take the engine half apart is not the best way.

Jerry
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The valve covers will be relieved (as I'm sure the owner will be when he's told he won't have to pull the intake just to adjust the valves )

The customer actually is a hands-on guy, and I'm quite certain the car will see plenty of road time.

More to come as soon as this project is wrapped up and off the dyno.

Eric