Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 05-20-2024, 09:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,195 Times in 996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Lynn, I'm with ya and have used air tools for over 50 years, BUT I now have a Milwaukee 1/2" 18 volt brushless impact and haven't pulled my Ingersol Rand air gun out of the drawer for over a year. This is THE best upgrade in a tool I have done. I've since bought their 3/8 gun, speed ratchet and 1/2" capacity drill too. I still use air for many things, but not for basic wrenching anymore. These tools are far more powerful than my old air tools and no compressor running. Consider it... Otherwise, I would look into another Ingersol impact for air. Yes, they are spendy, but quality still counts for strength and dependability.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ingersol...231C/323818880
I guess I don't peek out from under my rock often enough, I didn't know IR made that small of impact!

Lots of good input here, I admit that I do use a battery driver for some small stuff, but battery weight can be annoying too.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
napa68 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:05 PM

Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
I preferred the CP (Chicago Pneumatic) 734 because it was lighter and more compact compared to others. Better torque finesse with the trigger also. Wore out one and replaced with this one probably 45 years ago.
In 20 plus years of cars and light trucks never found any need for something bigger.
Appreciate all the input.

I started out with a CP that looked just like yours, except it had the long shaft so I could use a reversible 3/4 one end, 13/16 on the other end socket. Back then that was about it for lug nuts. The SnapOn I have was a definite upgrade at the time. That CP was used when I got it, and could have already been near the end of its life.

I posted this same thread over on GJ. One of the guys just posted that he ordered a ThorG2 1895 yesterday. So, I will wait until he reports back (hopefully).

I have always liked Ingersol. Had a really good little portable IR compressor back in the 80s that was stolen one night. Still have the pocket knife that came with it, although it ended up all rusty. Don't remember where I left it that it was exposed to moisture. I have a year old HD gift card, so maybe that will give me an excuse to use it. Will be at HF tomorrow picking up some lift straps for the Museum project, so can look at the gun Tony posted. $119 looks pretty darn good.

Tony: Read this online: "The Earthquake XT is all or nothing. It is great for ripping tires off and doing front end work. Just don't try to start any lug nuts with it or use on torque sensitive fasteners." Have they remedied it on the new one? IIRC, it has the same innards as the Thor. May be thinking of another one. That used to be the beef with the Thor; the trigger only had two stages, and could not be feathered. The one I posted has a fully progressive trigger now.

One of my beefs with electric is that the ONLY time a battery decides to quit is when I am in a hurry. I realize I could avoid that just by switching out batteries more regularly. I also realize that if I ate less and exercised more, I would already be down to my ideal weight (BTW, I only have 8 pounds to go). Knowing doesn't always translate to doing. I have never had an air powered tool run out of air, and certainly won't now that I have a one man shop and a 15 HP compressor.
markinnaples (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 01:29 PM

Thanked 3,847 Times in 1,634 Posts

----When I built my new garage 12 years ago now, I thought I made sure I had enough wall sockets. I only had a few electric tools at that time. Who'd have thought that electric stuff would become so prevalent. I now struggle to find an open spot to plug anything in. That and wires running all over the place. Guess its a good thing, but like Lynn I still like air power for some stuff!
Old 05-21-2024, 03:50 PM

Thanked 6,095 Times in 2,957 Posts

Lynn - I've only used this impact for really tough stuff so it's hard for me to say. I'll try a lighter touch on the trigger and let you know if it works.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:56 PM

I think you can tell by the presence or lack of presence of the roll pin in the handle. I went by HF today. Some of the Earthquake XT Extreme torque models are made by Astro Pneumatic (who makes the Thor). The earlier ones have a roll pin in the handle. After a few years it starts leaking air. But, those are the ones that don't have a progressive trigger.

HF had both designs still on the shelves, and strangely priced the same.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:47 PM

Great topic and one I just dealt with also. The trigger on my Ingersoll Rand 231C stopped working. It was only 3 year old tool which has near tripled in cost post pandemic. I sent it to IR to have it repaired but to not much surprise they don't fix the broken tools anymore - IR only offers a coupon for a new machine. In the few weeks it has taken to get to this point with IR, I bought a brand new Snap On PT850HV off eBay (brand new in box) for about 50% off retail price. I used it this weekend and it is a complete beast/well worth the $. Not sure I'd buy one new from Snap On only because of the $800 price, but for less than $400, I'd thrilled to have it.

About six months ago I bought a Snap On CT9050DB 1/2 inch battery impact to use with greater flexibility for all the reasons discussed here - especially for when I'm trailering on the road. Amazing tool. The technology is awesome. My brother has a beast of a DeWalt battery impact which is also one I'd suggest. I don't recall the PN.

Dan
Old 05-21-2024, 07:31 PM

Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,431 Posts

Road trips with battery tools is so much nicer than a ratchet or lug wrench to change a tire...
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (05-21-2024), olredalert (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:41 PM

I HAD all air stuff over the years, lines and outlets all over the garage, but now I have 18v Milwaukee impacts/sockets and these things are animals. I can just leave them on the workbench for weeks and go blow the lug nuts off anything at anytime. For me its time, grab it, use it, throw it back on the bench. No pulling the air lines over the myriad of crap in my garage, no "oh crap, there's no air in the compressor", yada yada. I still have all the air stuff though, lol
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JRSully For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (05-22-2024), Jonesy (05-23-2024), L_e_e (05-23-2024), olredalert (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSully View Post
I HAD all air stuff over the years, lines and outlets all over the garage, but now I have 18v Milwaukee impacts/sockets and these things are animals. I can just leave them on the workbench for weeks and go blow the lug nuts off anything at anytime. For me its time, grab it, use it, throw it back on the bench. No pulling the air lines over the myriad of crap in my garage, no "oh crap, there's no air in the compressor", yada yada. I still have all the air stuff though, lol
Exactly.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:22 AM

Not here to debate air v. cordless electric. As I stated earlier, I do have some cordless. Under the hood, I doubt I will ever use my SnapOn air ratchet. I have a SnapOn electric that is about the same size, and I don't have to worry about pulling the air hose across the fender. I ALREADY have a DeWalt cordless 1/2 inch impact wrench. I just prefer the air power.

To each his own. I am not trying to convert anyone to what they don't prefer.