Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Rarity of a 69 427 L36 in a standard Impala

The guy that is going to paint my cuda convert has a 69 impala he got out of a barn that is a convertible, has a 427 390HP engine, yet is not a SS427 car. Someone told him it is likely rare, but he asked me if I could help find out more. Any help appreciated I can pass on to him.

Its yellow, mint black original top, and black interior (bench with column auto).

-bob
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

not particulary rare but cool, desirable and worthy of restoring. 69 Impalas are not highly sought after and parts may be difficult to find especially trim pieces. But with a 427 and convertible top and yellow it will certainly float the boat of Chevy fans.
Old Today, 02:41 AM

If I remember correctly a 1969 427/390 could only be had in a Corvette or an SS427 Impala. If it was in a standard Impala, Biscayne, or Caprice it was a lower horsepower rating like 360 or something like that. Bill
Old Today, 04:13 AM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 738 Posts

My recollection is that the full size 69 Chevys had three different 427s available: 335, 390, and 425 HP.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old Today, 09:56 AM

I myself have not inspected it to verify motor stamps myself as I am in his town often enough. It does have an odd number 1 stamp in the cowl tag, centered just above the small general motors corporation text. Someone told him years ago that is likely an inspection mark. My 69 camaro does not have that so it caught my eye when he sent me a picture of it.

Pretty cool, if that is considered a corvette motor, whether rare or not.

Side note, when young visiting my moms family in Missouri, my uncle that seemed to get a lot of used cars, let me take his 427 4 door gold impala out for joy rides and it was fun to floor on hilly black top roads in farm country. I drifted it around turns on gravel roads, it had alot of torque for a lead sled. I thought back then, those front badges on the side of the fenders were super cool with that 427 script. The 4 door aspect was a downer though. I still have a model car of a 69 or 70 427 impala drag car in the attic, I think it was called Sudden Shaker. I loved that model, need to get that back out of storage and show my friend and atleast display it.

Last edited by black69; Today at 10:02 AM.