View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 09:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,131 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I have heard to use high tack on the pan rails to glue the gasket in place and to use a small dab of RTV were the cork gaskets meet the rubber end seals. Leave the block side clean and dry and reinstall. If this is not correct, I would appreciate any feedback you guys can provide.
I've always done this reversed, stick the gaskets to the block and put the pan up. Chemically clean with brake clean, RTV is ok but #2 Permatex or Loctite anaerobic are good too. Film of what you are using on the side rails and end seals, and on the pan surface too, but not so much to squeeze out excess or split the gasket. DON'T over torque!

You'll never be closer to the rear main seal, I'd replace that too. Verify you aren't getting leaks from above, VC's, rear of intake, front crank, etc.

In my 25 years dealership career I dropped pans in the car on dozens of Chevy V8's and these methods worked for me. I had a ZERO tolerance for leaks. - Bill W

Before someone mentions the blue one piece gaskets, there is a car in my garage that came to me leaving a three inch spot every time you shut it off. I replaced the one piece pan gasket in the car with four piece, no leaks now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (04-24-2024), RPOLS3 (04-24-2024)