The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Dick Harrell (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Dick Harrell Supercar Article (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178324)

Steve Shauger 03-13-2024 09:40 PM

Dick Harrell Supercar Article

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Rayburn Morrison

olredalert 03-14-2024 02:25 PM

----Great article, Steve! Thanks....Bill S

MN 70L78 03-15-2024 05:44 PM

Thanks for sharing! Nice to read 1st hand reports from back in the day... Too bad we still can't order one of these bad boy's up!

I just happened to do a bunch of reading yesterday on the 1970 LS6 Dick Harrell Camaro.

69hurstSC 03-21-2024 01:47 PM

I've used this article for research on the '68 Harrell Chevelle's and have gleaned a lot of information from it. My old car would have already been shipped to Courtesy Chevrolet by the time this story was shot. I believe the two Harrell Chevelles featured here are Suydam's car and a missing Fathom Blue car. I've spent HOURS trying to find Jerry Stagner, who's listed in the article as being the person who applied the nose stripes. I've also spent quite a bit of time trying to find T.L. Walker. From the sounds of it he wasn't in good standing with Dick shortly after this article debuted.
There are 4 known '68 Harrell Super Chevelles as of now, with at least 2 others that we know were created but haven't been located.
The Camaro's on the other hand are a lot more elusive. Just Suydam's is known to exist. The Lemans Blue car in the article remains a mystery. I've unearthed 6 separate classified ads on '68 Harrell Camaros for sale. Some may be the car being offered for sale again down the road. The most promising of one of these is I spoke with a person in Arizona who listed one in the Arizona Republic. The car was red (Suydam's is Red as well, different car). That puts us at 3 cars known. Another ad listed a "500hp" Dickie Harrell '68 Camaro for sale in AZ with Air!

copo-2 05-09-2024 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dick Harrell's ad appearing in the 1968 May 24 issue of "Drag World" relevant to the 68 427 Chevelle's.

markinnaples 05-15-2024 09:57 PM

In the ad above it notes to look for the new 427 Chevy II. Anyone know if they were built and if so, are they still around?

copo-2 05-16-2024 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by markinnaples (Post 1649492)
In the ad above it notes to look for the new 427 Chevy II. Anyone know if they were built and if so, are they still around?

There was a few 427 Novas built from the Fred Gibb 68 9738 COPO automatics. Just how many is still a mystery? Some of these Novas with Dick Harrell badging were the original 396
factory built 375 horsepower, which was upgraded with options available that DHPC was a dealer for or what a customer was willing to pay for including the Crager SS wheels.

The 427 version was available as advertised with the 450 horsepower option or the 500 horsepower version with the 2 4bbl version. More of the Harrell prepared Novas located were original 396 powered than documented 427's.